Monday, April 6, 2015

From Russia, with Sandy....

Sandy Brondello enjoyed one of the greatest seasons in WNBA history last season.

In her second stint as a head coach in the league, Brondello who played in the WNBA for nine years and was an Olympian for her native Australia, came into a team loaded with talent that had underachieved the previous two years and was looking for help.

The Phoenix Mercury responded to her setting a WNBA season record with 29 wins and just 5 losses. They swept the conference semifinals, won the conference finals 2-1 over the defending champion and then swept the finals 3-0. Brondello was named the WNBA Coach of the Year and Diana Taurasi was named Finals MVP and first team All-WNBA along with teammate Brittney Griner who was also named the WNBA’s Defensive player of the year.



                                       

Always on a quest to learn more from the best coaches in the world, Arizona Sidelines sent Sandy some questions while she coaches a professional team in Russia (That Taurasi and fellow team mate Penny Taylor play on) and she gave us some great insight into her Championship season. (Be advised that this interview is a bit laden with basketball references, but you will be able to easily extrapolate the coaching ideas and philosophies from Coach Brondello)

Can you give us a typical in season day for you including how you devise and execute a practice plan?

Sandy: “A typical in season day would usually comprise of film before practice which is usually focused on us if it is the day after a game. I am a coach that pays attention to the little things, like positioning on and off the ball, off ball activity, screening, things like that. I aim to highlight areas that need improvement. I believe that watching breakdowns of our game is a great tool to improve team play. The more they hear and see me talk about the specifics, the quicker they will become instinctful on the court. “

“Video sessions may range from 10 to 20 minutes. After this we go to the court for a 45 minute to 1 hour practice. Practice is devised around defense with a focus on our next opponent and the players we will have to defend. While the core of my defense is consistent, I do like to take away individual players strengths, like a player’s right hand if is dominant, so we do a lot of work on breakdown drills in pick and roll action.”

Let's talk about relationships. You and Diana Taurasi have known each other for a while but you had to get buy in from Brittney Griner, from Candace Dupree and the rest of the team. Do you treat them the same? Differently? How do you find what motivates each player?

SB: “Being a former player, I understand the importance of building relationships with all players, getting to know them and vice versa, and understanding what motivates them and what does not. Everyone is different and thus I do treat players differently especially when it comes to constructive criticism. Not everyone reacts the same and it is important to know that and find out what works best so that you can get the best out of them at any given time.”

“I try and communicate as much as possible to players, whether it be feedback about a previous or upcoming game, or generally to ask them about how they are. I think if you can show them you care for them as individuals it definitely helps the BUY IN factor. While I believed in my ideas for the team and how I wanted them to play, having coached Dee (Taurasi) in Russia and having played with Penny made the transition as Head Coach of the Mercury a smooth transition. If your best players believe in your system, it definitely helps the others accept their new surroundings easily. Regardless of this though, this team was motivated and committed to winning which made my job much easier from the very beginning.”

What did you see when you got to this Phoenix Mercury team that you felt needed to be changed right away and why?

SB: “Playing and committing to the defensive end! The Mercury teams of the past were capable scorers and games were usually in the 90 to 100 points range. While I did not want to change the pace of the game offensively, defense was my main emphasis from day 1 until the day we won the Championship. We have some very gifted and smart players that I knew could execute a game plan and make it hard for the opposition to score. I was clear in my instructions with how we wanted to defend different actions, something they may not have had in the past. Obviously have Brittney in the middle helps our defense and our length was an issue for many teams so we used our length and versatility to our advantage. But the biggest KEY was that they BOUGHT IN from day 1, accepted their roles and played hard and together at both ends of the floor. They were an unselfish team which enabled us to reach our full potential!”

Who are your coaching role models and why? And is there any quotes or advice you got from them that stuck with you?

SB: “I have learned something from every coach I have worked with either as a player or as an assistant coach over the years. The most influential coaches though are Tom Maher, Ron Rothstein, Dan Hughes and my husband, Olaf Lange.”

“Tom Maher was about doing the little things well on defense. I remember one of the first sessions being coached by Tom with the Australian team and he is yelling at me about 'secondary hand pressure'. I had NO idea what he was talking about at the time but the more I understood what he wanted from me and us, I realized how simple yet effective his nuances were to be a great defensive team. As a coach, I realize that if you can teach the basic fundamentals of the game, it will come easier to everyone.”

“Ron Rothstein was my coach with the Miami Sol in 2001-2002 season. Ron was a great teacher of the game especially on offense. He really simplified the game, and helped me understand how all parts must work together to be the most effective team.”

“Dan Hughes gave me my coaching break and for that I am deeply embedded to him. He is a great leader, communicator and mentor. He gave me a platform to grow as a coach during the time we had together.”

“However, my biggest role model is my husband. Olaf (Lange) was a Head Coach from a very young age, 25, and I learned a lot from just watching and discussing everything with him that went into preparing a team whether it be player development, practice planning or scouting of an opponent. He has always been a great student of the game, watching and learning from other successful coaches and programs. He is a great sounding board for me as a Head Coach!”

Finally, what advice would you give coaches, young and old, to help them become better coaches and leaders?

“The best advice I would give is to keep learning from other coaches and teams but most importantly keep learning from your own team! Don’t be afraid to change something if it means helping the team perform better! We are all on a common journey and the more teamwork we have, the more rewarding it will be!”

“I feel like I become a better coach each year due to the many different experiences I have coaching around the world both in practices and in games and with the different players we have would encourage all to gain as many experiences as you can and don’t stop wanting to learn.”

Brondello’s Mercury being their season June 5th to defend their WNBA title. Thanks to Sandy for her efforts to answer our questions from the other side of the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment