Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Five Years.... Part II

It started off as a question in a coaches gaggle but with thought became more than that. It would have been easy to take bits and pieces but we asked this question of coaches from all over the country, from all different levels. Their responses, which we will post in a few blogs going forward, are honest and an insight into where our game is going.

How do you Coach differently today than you did five years ago?
Jason Watson- Arizona State University

"I think this is a great question. Reminds me of this quote –“The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it” – Mark Twain. Is there no better representation of this quote than pushing towels across a gym floor?"

"Daniel Pink in his book 'Drive' talks about motivation in 3 ways: autonomy, mastery and purpose. Those 3 things resonate with me as I've looked to define my coaching style:

  • · Autonomy: Coaches – Let’s get out of your way. Mistakes are good. Practice should look like the Apple Store not the DMV.
  • · Mastery: Coaches – partner with you in your goal to master skills. It’s fun and satisfying for us each to get better.
  • · Purpose: coaches need to be 'purpose maximizes' and not be guided by 'profit' or outcomes.

When I refer to 'coaches' it’s in reference to our coaching staff at ASU. Not coaches in general."

"As the head coach at ASU, I continue to look for ways to improve the relationships and culture in our gym by using these qualities as a guide: autonomy, mastery and purpose."

Ken Murphy- Northern Arizona University

"I think I become more organized every year and that my systems become tighter and more cohesive very year. For example, the way we mentor our players in the gym is consistent with how we mentor them everywhere else. We have themes for learning, decision making, forming habits, etc. that fit the same into all phases of our program. And we have worked hard and improved at making sure there aren't any gaps."

"I'm not sure if my coaching style has changed but I think I'm better at challenging athletes and pushing them to reach their potential while retaining a positive learning environment. Because of this our athletes seem to be more self motivated and better at handling adversity and performing well in typically stressful situations."

Joe Trinsey- Pepperdine Men’s Assistant Coach, U.S.A. Women’s National Team Technical Advisor

"Well since I'm only 27, you bet my coaching style has changed a lot over the past 5 years!
The main change, among many big changes, has been a deeper understand of motor learning and the science of learning. Of course, I have learned a ton about skills, strategy, tactics, etc. But if your players can't learn that, it's no use!"

"I started coaching when I was 15, assisting my parents, so I think I got a pretty early start on being able to 'be a coach' in terms of just soaking up lots of the little behaviors that coaches need to have when running a team. I was always comfortable instructing and giving feedback. However, in the past 5 years, I've really tried to take to heart the concept of, 'if they haven't learned, you're not done teaching.' I think that, like so many good coaching insights, is attributed to John Wooden."

"I've learned so much about motor learning from Carl McGown and the other GMS folks, a lot about mindset and psychology from Carol Dweck. Another very profound book for me was 'Inner Game of Tennis.' That book transformed my career as a player and has been incredibly helpful in my coaching."

Kevin Hambly- University of Illinois

"In the last five years I just think I have matured as a coach. I have become more patient in the process and less patient with effort and toughness. To me if the players are working as hard as they can in the moment we are in and they are training with a growth mindset and intention than I am in and very happy with the process. Five years ago, I was certainly less patient with players and how fast they are learning. Staying process oriented mindset is easier now."

Look for further Coaches comments on this question coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment